Kitchen Assistant Position Description
7ate9 Bakery is a small café specializing in cheesecake, at 199C Highland Ave in Somerville. We are neighborhood people who believe in building community, utilizing local food systems, and creating high quality products.
We’re a very small team looking for people with big ambition. We practice transparency with our staff in terms of our books, our business model and our growth model. After one year of working with us, you’re eligible for profit-sharing. Equity/Partnership opportunities are available. We want you to grow with us and help shape our vision.
Three Production Days: Tuesday-Friday 7:30am-5:00pm (choose three days)
Optional Customer Service Day: Saturday 8:30am-2pm or 8:30am – 6:00pm
- Follow instructions for mixing and preparing various recipes.
- Prep (mise-en-place) ingredients to speed production efficiency.
- Develop recipes under the guidance of owner (areas of growth: ice cream making, breakfast pastry, cupcakes, cake decorating).
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Create a professional, friendly, efficient work environment.
- Assist customers.
- Make beverages using semi-automatic espresso machine.
- Make sandwiches.
Benefits & Perks:
- Free shift meals.
- Free, unlimited café beverages throughout shift.
- Employee discount when off-shift.
- Culinary & Barista training, resume building, community engagement opportunities and development.
- MUST be a people-person and love working with customers. Extroverted people do quite well with our company culture. We genuinely love our customers and they love us. We’ve had about 4 rude customers in the past four years… no joke.
- Positive attitude and customer service approach a must.
- Previous barista or kitchen experience a plus though not necessary.
- Ability to self-direct while understanding your role on the team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must be able to lift up to 40lbs.
- Must be able to work on your feet, in a very fast paced kitchen environment.
- Non-smokers preferred as smoke breaks are not provided.
- Must have your own means of transportation. Public transportation is not reliable for our location.
Starting wage, based on experience, will be $12-15 per hour plus tips, which average $3 per hour.
Email resume to jobs [at] 7ate9bakery.com