Bottled Water Free
7ate9 Bakery is proud to have joined the Think Outside the Bottle Campaign by becoming a bottled water free establishment. We’ve taken the pledge to uphold the public’s right to safe and affordable drinking water. This means we opt for public tap water over bottled water and we call on public officials to cut taxpayer spending on bottled water and support strong public water systems.
Sound like a crazy thing to do? Here’s some facts that sound pretty crazy to us:
- Today, three of four Americans drink bottled water, and one in five drinks only bottled water.
- Every year, bottled water corporations spend millions of dollars on clever marketing that portrays bottled water as safer or more pure than tap water. One effect has been that people across the country are losing confidence in their public tap water, even though bottled water is less regulated than tap water.
- Ironically, up to 40 percent of bottled water comes from local tap water systems.
- Making bottles to meet Americans’ demand for bottled water required the equivalent of more than 17 million barrels of oil last year – enough fuel for more than 1 million U.S. cars for a year – and generated more than 2.5 million tons of carbon dioxide.
- Over 80 percent of plastic water bottles end up in landfills. Each year more than 4 billion pounds of PET plastic bottles end up in landfills or as roadside litter
- Here are 10 more reasons to Think Outside the Bottle.
Bottled water, which is often processed municipal tap water sold back to us, is not a good substitute for public tap water. Today, one in six people don’t have access to enough water. The more water becomes a high priced commodity, the more public water sources and universal access to water become threatened.
We hope you’ll join us to promote, protect and ensure public funding for our public water systems. Take the pledge to Think Outside the Bottle today!